Wednesday 7 January 2015

Mohammad Yousuf Malik


22nd July, 2014 after heavy breakfast at Natraj Hotel Pahalgam along with and by courtesy I K Raina , I took to the camping ground on the Adu road opposite to the deer park. J&K Armed Police tent was already pitched in the ground. I gave a call to its inmates and sought their permission to pitch my tent in their neighbourhood. They welcomed me and one of them extended his help in pitching the tent. Soon two unknowns stepped in and offered their voluntary help. Both of them are trekkers.
Within 15 minutes the tent was erected. The trekkers introduced themselves to me as Mohammad Yousuf Malik and Ali Mohamad from Pahalgam. Though professional trekkers yet it was voluntary service from them. M Yousuf told me that he lived nearby and if needed, he would get ‘nunea chaie with mukaie choet’  (Salty tea and maiza flour roti) for me. I thanked him for his gesture.
Constable Ashaq Ahmad BSc. B Ed. (Msc. Mathematics previous) attached himself with me until 2nd August the day I wound up my camp. Ashiq cooked my vegetables and boiled tap water for me regularly. On his advice, I purchased a boiler and one bucket from the market. Next morning he got bucketful of ice-cold water from down the Lider River and made it worthy of my hot water bath. While taking hot water bath, I remembered a piece of advice that was given to me in 1978 by Raj Nath Dhar, a Police officer of those days. By the side of one of the brooks at Pahalgam club of those days utensil full of ice-cold water was placed by my help on the live kerosene stove for my bath. By freak of coincidence Raj Nath Dhar, the then SHO Pahalgam while on patrolling spotted me in readiness for the hot water bath. He was surprised and told me that one must compromise with the circumstances. Since then in such situations I remember the retired Superintendent of Police, Raj Nath Dhar and manage with the circumstances. From the next day, I tuned my body for ice cold water bath on the bank of the river.
24th July, 2014 Mohamad Yousuf met me in the market and said:” Bae anoea makaie chochie khabuer kheiva (I would like to get maize-flour roti for you, know not if you will accept it). I said: “Che anuekh mahbtea saan kanh khenea chese tueth kiya zeher cha ( You will get some eatable with love, that is hardly poison). Next day M Yousuf brought me five rotis and in my absence kept the pack for me at the police camp. With discount of three, I was handed two that sufficed for my dinner. M Yousuf also wanted me to have lunch at his place on any day I would propose.
2nd August M Yousuf came to me and said: “My wife had gone to her parents on account of Eid. She returned. You please give me any date for lunch as per your convenience.”
I was packing and promised him that I would honour his invitation on my next visit.” 31st August, I left for Jammu. Intermittently I get his telephone calls. He often tells me to take care of myself. Third week of November, M Yousuf asked me for my Mumbai address so that he could send me a pack of walnuts by speed-post. I offered him cost for walnuts and in response he said in case I talk of money, he would cease to give calls on me. 4th December, the doorbell buzzed. It was postman with the packet of walnuts.
I am humbled by his hospitality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment