Wednesday 7 January 2015

‘Thukea Peand’ (Platform for rest)

Age and responsibilities are not correlated. Responsibilities have no end until the end comes to end the responsibilities.
1974, I was on the driver seat of my two-wheeler and my elder brother Girdhari Lal was on the pillion seat. I was 35, younger to him by three years. Our ears were in perfect and healthy condition to talk and listen to each other while driving. 
At Lal Chowk ahead of the then KMD Bus stand near Government Press, he said: “ Meha zunen chie dilus nish phutjie gundieth. (I feel a number of knotted bundles bundled near my heart). I stopped by the side of the footpath; put the scooter on its stand. Both of us stepped on to the footpath. Before he would question me for my stop, I said: “Yemunea phutjien yeie gund telie muchravunea yeli thukea penjie peith savuen te kunus nish nuer phutravun (These bundles will get unknotted only when one is finally laid to rest on the resting-platform for awhile and the earthen pitcher cracked by the side of one’s head).”
Strangely our ‘Thukea Peand’ too has been vandalized by the beneficiaries of the turmoil. It has met the same fate as ‘Dudh Ganga’. A shop is raised on the platform that was meant for the temporary rest for our dead.
In absence of ‘Thukea Peand’ and cracking of the earthen pitcher, the knotted bundles will remain knotted till eternity.
Being a young man of 75+11 months, I believe I am on extension. One on extension will not enjoy the same benefits of life as when in active service. One as such must be contented and enjoy each moment of extension, celebrate the birthdays of grandchildren and that of the great grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment