Sunday 25 January 2015

Prestigious Once It was!

July 7, 2012 on way back to Chandpora, Harwan, I halted for a little while on the boulevard near the footpath that once connected Rainawari with Nishat and its surroundings. Fountains in the Dal Lake nearby did not let us ignore the scene. Some teenagers’ gossip at one of the enclosures on the fringe of the lake was an additional reason for our stopover.
To indulge, I pretended to be a stranger and asked them if they knew name of the bridge on the Nishat-Rainawari road. Knowing little my intentions, they tried to play smart and attempted for a bluff with a readymade fictitious name. I corrected them and acquainted them with its age-old name ‘vuntea-kadal’. The bridge for its formation is associated with the name of the camel.
The boys were from economically well to do families. Some were from the one time prestigious Burn Hall School and some were from equally one time prestigious Tyndale Biscoe School. Their gossip contrary to our age-old impression about their respective schools was loose and smacked vulgarity. Little care for our grey hair, they talked about alcohols, LSD, Brown sugar and naked sunbath on beaches. They named some of the infamous beaches in Australia and Dubai. They even named some red areas abroad. I had to eat my words when they pointed to the periphery along the Lake-water below the boulevard road to challenge my impression that alcohol is banned in the valley. They said that tons of alcohol containers could be traced under the wild weed on the bank of the Lake down the road beside the parapet wall.
I asked the so called brilliant among them for integration of tanβ. He disagreed with me when I told him that he was wrong and its correct answer is log Secβ. He was amazed when I explained him to his satisfaction its solution on his palm.
Loose talk stopped when they learned that I am a teacher by profession. To my dismay they painted a horrible picture of their respective schools. One pointed to the other and boasted that he struck head of his teacher at Burn Hall with a duster. The teacher had abused and called him ‘heramuek;chea chukh ne puneanis mulie sundh)’ (Illegitimate, you are not from your father).
Soon I remembered Nisar Hussain retired Chief Electrical Engineer(cell No:9419001639; Landline No: 0194-2310511) and his brother who spotted Kanya Lal Handoo, their mathematics teacher at Burn Hall while driving on Ludhiana Road. Nisar Hussain on the wheel overtook the car boarded by his teacher and signaled his driver to stop. Both the brothers alighted from their car, bowed to their teacher and touched his feet, though; they said that Muslims bow only to Allah.
The Tyndale Biscoe School student was equally disgusted with the present environment in the school. He said that gone are the days when disciplinarian teachers of repute like Pir Salam Din Sahib, Master Sat Lal Razdan, Master Bulji Saproo, Master Amar Nath Matoo, Master Radha Krishan Kaw, Master Tulsi Nath Misri, Master Arjan Nath Muju,…..and many others were on the staff of the school. Today after 1990 turmoil there is a big void. All sorts of menace are in the school. The teacher only parrots: “You are zero; you are nowhere.” “Students have become alcoholic and addicted to different drugs. Alcohol and drugs are smuggled inside the school and consumed within the school premises. We the student community have suffered badly. Our parents speak very high of their teachers. They are proud of their teachers. ” said he.
In the meantime, the boy with solution of the integration of tan β on his palm developed love and respect for me. Next day he phoned me and wanted to lend his tataphoton device to me. To my surprise, he came running on foot from Nishat-Brain to Harwan to deliver the device. He did a few questions with me. He is a lovely and affectionate boy. Last week he invited me to his home and introduced me to his parents and grandfather.
He often gives me ring and enquires about my welfare and offers his services to me whenever needed.
Loss of such prestigious institutions is a big loss and sorrow for their alumni.
Brijdass chu venan lasiv te basiv.

No comments:

Post a Comment