Monday 22 February 2016

Mohammad Subhan Sheikh

Mohammad Subhan Sheikh was working as a sweeper at M Dass Public School, Chotta Bazar, Srinagar. His job was not as easy as it could be today. Toilets were cleaned manually in absence of any flush toilet points. I was feeling highly indebted to him. Payment of the little money could not relieve me of his obligations. He was meticulously regular and punctual.
One day I told him: “Mohammad Subhana, I will not let your son Rehmana to hold broom in his hand. I will make him Ustad.”
Subhan Sheikh: “Why do you make fun of me? My son has never been to school. I have already submitted an application in the Municipality for his appointment as a sweeper. How can my son be an Ustad?”
I said: “That is my job. I told you that I will not let any of your sons to hold broom in their hand. This is my promise to you. I owe my services to you. It is no obligation to you.”

The next day, I managed character verification certificate from the Police Department in favour of Rehman Sheikh and handed the set of the requisite documents to Nazir Ahmmad Malik(Retired S P) the then Assistant Traffic Inspector –ATI for issuance of a Cleaner Chit in the name of Rehman Sheikh.
Being an employee of Srinagar Municipality, Subhan Sheikh’s claim for Cleaner’s job in favour of his son was acknowledged by the concerned authorities. For many years, thereafter, seeing me through the side mirror, Rehman driving the Municipality vehicle would give me side as a gesture of gratitude. At times he would request me to let him wash my matador.
One day, draped as usual in pheran, Rehaman stepped into my office, saluted me in his rustic style with his right hand hiding his forehead completely; and said: “Adab Arz Mahra. You favoured me with cleaner chit. You have been seeing me driving the Municipal truck for many years. For want of driving license, I am not considered for the post. Kindly help me.”
A strange coincidence, retired IGP Mohammad Ashraf Bedar IPS, the then SSP Traffic in his civvies was seated in front of me. He said: “What is this ….chit…cleaner…driver…?” I narrated the whole episode to him and told him that I promised his father, a sweeper in the school, that I would not allow his son to hold broom in his hand and I would like to see him as ‘Ustad’. Now he is Ustad. But for want of driving license, he is denied the post of Ustad.”
Bedar Sahab said: “Are you sure that he knows driving?” I said: “I have seen him driving for the last many years and as an expression of gratitude, he gives me side too.”
Bedar Sahab took him along with ,  gave him the desired trial to his satisfaction. Rehman Sheikh retired as Convoy Commander in the year 2012. He told me that his pension was fixed at more than Rs.30,000.
Subhan got cleaner chit for his second son also.He was an apprentice at tailor shop. He got him too appointed in the Municipal committee. The entire family shifted to Humhama. 1994, I met Subhan Sheikh for the last time at Jammu Bus Stand on his return from the pilgrimage to Ajmer Sharif.  



No comments:

Post a Comment