Saturday 2 April 2016

Zenie Ghat (Firewood Depot)

Firewood was issued by the forest department within the Srinagar city limits to the city dwellers on a ration card. Until the river Jhelum and one of its distributaries Kuteakouel had enough water for navigation firewood depots were on the river banks. The supply to the depot used to arrive through ‘bahatch’ and ‘Khouetch’ (Khouetch is a larger boat without roof). The firewood used to be of different varieties like kale, willow and ‘hatub’. 20 seers of firewood was ration for each member on the ration card.
Generally the supply would exhaust sooner than expected as major part of it would pilferage through black marketing. People not interested in the rationed firewood used to oblige their neighbours asking for the same. Coolies at the firewood ghat were from the milkmen community to carry firewood.
In view of the gasping Kuteakouel for want of water, the firewood depot Dadi-Kadal kept on shifting to any roadside available space. Truck supply replaced the Khouetch supply. For some time the Dadi-Kadal depot was at Zaindar Mohalla in front of our house and at times across the Kanikadal Bridge at Chotta Bazar.
Out of all the licensed coolies at the ghat, Ghulam Mohammad Gujri son of Mohammad Rajab Gujri of Zaindar Mohalla was not party to black marketing. He had fellow feelings for his like who had no chance to get the rationed firewood despite a long wait. Because of his progressive character, he was an odd man out.
March 1974, the day was sunny, unexpectedly the Divisional Firewood Officer Gassi Sahab arrived on his bicycle to pay a surprise visit to the ghat to ascertain whether ‘all was fine’. That day the Depot was at Chotta Bazar beside the house of retired Conservator of Forest known for his honesty. Ghulam Mohammad Gujri seized the opportunity and reported pilferage and black-marketing to the officer. To his aghast, the officer retorted at him: “Chea kiya mam chukhea” (Slang-are you a mama?). Beyond his expectations and intolerant to the slang, Ghulam Mohammad Gujri caught hold of the necktie of the officer, dragged him down from the bicycle by his necktie and delivered a few blows on him. People around intervened and saved the officer from further beating. Presently on the saner advice by someone from the melee, Mohmudie Guer went into hiding.
Tailor master Aziz and retired constable Khazir Mohamad were known as the Police agents. Both offered their help to Mohmudie Guer at the Police station Shaheed Gunj headed by Chowki officer ASI Makhan Lal Raina.
On my way to my office I could read restlessness on the face of Mohmudie Guer on the Tankikadal Bridge. Seeing me, a beam of hope flashed on his face. He requested me to check as to who were in the police station. From their body language I could guess that the police agents Aziz and Khazir Mohammad did not like my entry. The Chowki officer Makhan Lal Raina was acquainted to me. During his studies, he was putting up in a rented accommodation at Zaindar Mohalla in my neighbourhood. Besides, both of us were alumni of S P College. I took liberty with the officer and requested him not to register any criminal case against Mohmudie Gouer and be treated as my younger brother.
I left the Police Station and conveyed Mohmudie Guer the presence of Khazir Mohamad and Aziz at the Police Station. After a little while, I visited the Police Station again to ensure that no challan was registered against him The Station Officer seemed to be indifferent. He was already paid Rs.200 by Mohmudie Gouer the crusader against corruption on the advice of Aziz and Khazir Mohammad, the mediators. I felt challenged and asked the officer for return of the money failing which, I would talk to his seniors. Fumed, I left the Station only to visit Mohmudie Gouer again. Intermittently, I had to show my presence at my office and my new venture M Dass Public School. On my next visit to the Police Station, the Station Officer had returned the money to Mohmudie Guer but he had handcuffed him and chained him to a cot. It was a hard day for me. Bail managed at the court was reluctantly executed late in the evening by Makhan Lal Raina, the Chowki officer.
I accomplished my mission but at a heavy cost. The Officer warned and successfully avenged me. I along with two Professors had to face a false charge. The court took two years to declare us innocent and exonerate us of any charges. I suggest neither be friendly nor annoy the one in uniform.
Like
Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment