Saturday 8 March 2014

Deceptive Faces



In my school time one of the questions frequently asked was on the topic ‘Alexander’s invasion’. Alternatively the question used to be on gains and losses on account of the invasion.

Modern Historians on Kashmir must have written enough on the historical event ‘the eruption of militancy and turmoil of 1990’. The gains and losses due to Alexander’s invasion may be replaced by the gains and losses due to the eruption of militancy and uncalled for bloodshed.

I personally suffered an enormous loss. The family three-storey residential house, double storey school building and cowshed were set ablaze in August 1990. I lost my livelihood too. Weighing the Gain & Loss due to the turmoil, despite enormous financial losses, the pan of gains weighed heavier.

Being 19th February 1939 born, I was fifty-one less by a fortnight in January 1990. I was under the delusion that I am master of fifty-one year’s rich experience of life. The vanity on account of the so called rich experience vanished overnight. All the sycophants around either vanished or changed their tongue.  It was a new experience worth weighing in gold.

Vijay Kumar was a daily-wage earner at the Srinagar Telephone Exchange. On his request, I used to give insurance business of the family houses, shop, buses and matadors, school buildings etcetera to him. Besides he used to do all electric fittings and fixtures of our family buildings under construction until January 1990.  It was a gesture to help the needy at the cost of personal gains in the form of commission. September 1989, the late M Amin Khan, Manager Oriental Insurance expressed his grievance for ignoring him in preference to Vijay Kumar. He accused me of discrimination. I pacified Khan Sahib with the insurance business of our residential complex that was the only property due for insurance. Total insured amount of the house was 12.5 lac.
Ahead of mass migration, I was at Jammu since 16th January 1990. One afternoon landline buzzed and it was Vijay Kumar on the other end to inform me about renewal of policies. I said: “I don’t have the little to fill the tank. Floor of all the vehicles have turned grassy. Please let me know the expiry date of all the buildings due for renewal”. I know not why despite repeated requests he preferred to maintain stony silence and made me suffer heavily.
August 1990, all got gutted. But for the property insured by Khan Sahib the rest became charcoal without any insurance cover.
The late B K Vaishnavi, the then Regional Manager based at Chandigarah assured any amount near to 11.5 lac as claim for the gutted property. He appointed MK Wali as the preliminary surveyor and cautioned him of our delicate relations. Some well wishers in the department hinted me for greasing palm of the men of consequence. I consulted B K Vaishnavi, though I was a total pauper. He emphatically warned me and forbade me to commit any such blunder. The preliminary surveyor assessed the loss at 6.62 lac against the expected and assured sum near 11.5 lac. The final surveyor too stuck to it. To my utter disgust one day Mr. Vaishnavi forgetting his earlier advice advised me to grease the palm of the surveyor M K Wali.

Professor Ali Bhat greeted me in person at Jammu on account of
Shivratri, but swore falsely against me by Prophet Mohammed the next day at Srinagar. Rafiq approached me in person with wet eyes and refreshed our relations as father and son that he continues to maintain without getting affected by the vagaries of time and space. One of my closest kin who often used to orbit around me like a human satellite accused me as a cheat for not sharing profit from purchase and sale of a piece of land.
Phases of the Moon; a geographical phenomenon are explicitly explicable, but phases of the human faces; a curse from the nature is beyond one’s comprehension.
What a self acclaimed claim to be the topmost species in the universe!
‘Wah ashruful makhluqat wah!’
‘Alla janay kiya hogha aghay’
‘Ajab teree kaeegaree hai yeh jinab’

‘Duniya vuchmai neko budh siptha vuchmus may guzradh tie may guzradh’



No comments:

Post a Comment