Wednesday 12 March 2014

‘Zethiev Nariev kheiv Saal’ (Long sleeves enjoy the feast)

‘Zethiev Nariev kheiv Saal’ is an age old quotation. It is said that once a grand feast was arranged in honour of Sheikh Noor ul Din Noorani, a great Sufi saint of his time. Kashmiri Pundits remember him as Nundea Reiush.

The Chief Guest was abnormally late. Eyes of the other guests were fixed at the entrance looking impatiently for the arrival of the Chief. Before patience would give way, all impatient guests were thrilled to see the Chief Guest dressed in a brand new ‘pheran’ with long sleeves. After a long wait the guests heaved a sigh of relief.
Soon, ‘dastarkhwan’(dining table) was laid. All the guests each in a group of four were given handwash. Each group of four was served with rice plate named ‘trumie’ and delicious dishes on it. Bismillah was pronounced and all except the Chief started. The Chief started in a different style. He dipped the long sleeves of his ‘pheran’ into the ‘trumie’and said ‘Zethiev Nariev kheiv Saal’.  (You the long sleeves enjoy the feast)All including the  host were surprised. Whispers went around. None other than the saint could explain the reason.
The saint said: “My dinner time is late by two hours. So it is too late for me.”
The host:“Sir, you arrived late. We knew your dinner time and we had prepared all the dishes well in time.”
The saint:“I did not arrive late. I was in time. You did not let me in, for I was not dressed in new clothes. I had to go back and get a brand new ‘pheran’ tailored. It took me two hours and in new pheran, you did not only let me in but even welcomed me with honour. All this exercise is for my pheran and not for me. I let the sleeves of my pheran to enjoy the feast.
Early nineties, immediately after my forced exodus, I had to manage with a pair of dresses that I had with me from the valley. Every day after my return from the work, the dress was washed and ironed to be usable the next day. Two dresses were reserved for dinner or lunch during the marriage season. One season, I attended invitations on three consecutive days. I did not get chance to reshape the dresses after use. My absence on one of the marriages in the season was my compulsion.
Mrs. Raina,wife of my friend said: “Dass Sahab, why did you not attend such and such marriage. Your friends missed you.
Maqber Nunde Reuesh
I said:“  ‘Khander asie ziadhea te Salea verdhie asea sarie mulea gumchea. Moqie ave ne salea verdhie tuyar kurnus’ (Number of marriages was more; all the invitation uniforms were soiled. I did not get time to maintain balance between the used and the usable).
Pundit BadriNath Thussu (Hereafter Sabuea) and Pundit Damoodhar Koul Bazaz named as Dhamea Koul, my neighbour (Hereafter Bob ji) were friends. Bobuji was working as head clerk in the office of the Customs and Excise. Both used to be smartly dressed.One day at lunch hour, they were on way to their respective homes. It would take them at least one hour to reach Zaindar Mohalla from Zaina Kadal. En route at Zaina Kadal they spotted a marquee set up for a reception or asocial function. Fragrance of dishes and hunger changed their path. Both proceeded towards marquee. The host took the two smartly dressed for some VIP and welcomed them accordingly. Both were led to the spot reserved for distinguished guests and were served with due care and special attention.
Maqber Nunde Reuesh
After the lunch was over, Bobuji called the host and said:”Do you or anyone of you know us?
The host: “ ‘aheanmahra, kiya mahra chiv tohie venan, shermundea chivea kuran’ ( Yes; What do you say; you are embarrassing us)”
Bobuji:” Kiyazi chivea apuz venan. Asie  asi yuperie pukan, rogunjosh; kulie teyekhnie hondh sogandhi chi akis milus tanie yevan. Bochieti aes lujmuech te rogunjoshunti duet ne broent puknea. (Why do you lie? We were on way to our home.Fragrance of rogunjosh, kalie and yekhnie is felt up to a radius of one mile.Both hunger and fragrance of the dishes did not let us go any further. We express our gratitude to you.
The host:” Ye mahra osvea tohie punuen pralabdh te souen gav behanea (It was your destiny and we became the conduit.”
Makeshift confectionary in the courtyard of Ziarat Sharief

Makeshift confectionery in the courtyard of Ziarat Sharief























No comments:

Post a Comment