Thursday 28 August 2014

Introduction Please!
Mid sixties, I told my maternal uncle Lalea at Tulmul, whether he knew the gentleman in my company. He said: “No. How should I know him unless introduced?”
I formally introduced Dr. P L Trakroo to his father-in-law, Lalea.  I took initiative only after Dr. Trakroo promised me that he would refuse to accept any money from him. I pointed to another person and asked my Mamaji if he knew him. He again replied in the negative. I introduced him as his grandson, the son of his eldest son.
One day Professor Surinder (name changed) called on me at my school office. He had strained relations with his wife. His daughter Komal (Name changed) was on the staff of the school. I called Komal and asked her if she knew the gentleman in the chair. She said that may be he is parent of some student. I asked Professor Surrender if he knew the lady. He said that obviously she must be on the staff of the school. I introduced both by their respective names. Komal was shocked to know that the stranger was none other than her father.
Mr. Matoo used to accompany his grandson to school like a shadow. One day my elder brother told me that Mr. Mattoo was a man of self prestige. He as an employee of Food Control department dared to take cudgels with the then Director Food & Supplies SAS Qadri, who was said to be of harsh temperament. Whose subordinates, for his  rough behaviour were said to be scared of him. They would prefer to maintain distance with him. Mattoo had to pay price for his self prestige. He was dismissed from the services. Mattoo sued the department and after suffering for many years he was finally reinstated under the orders of the court. The period of dismissal was treated as on duty under the orders of the court. Mr. Matto spent lavishly on the marriage of his son Ashok.
One day I told Ashok, that for many days I did not see his father. He said that he went to his second son at Habba kadal. I told him that my namaskar be conveyed to him. Ashok said that he did not know the address of his father. It was a surprise to me. For many days it had become my topic for the day. I shared the surprise with many of my friends, little knowing that one day I may not be an exception.
Early sixties, on our return from an evening walk, Lok Nath Matu of Zaindar Mohalla near National High School said to me that he may have to suffer expulsion from his Mohalla. I asked for the reason. He said that the dog that was following him was expelled by people in the area for its nuisance value as a street dog. The dog recognized his voice and smell and followed him. Now along with the dog he too may be expelled. With great difficulty Lok Nath dodged the dog and escaped expulsion until January 1990.
The hungry  lion in Rome bowed to its prey. The lion preferred to suffer with hunger rather than to make a meal of the person who had relieved him of pain due to a thorn that was stuck into its paw.
17th August, 2014 I got happy Janam Ashtami greetings from a mobile number unknown to me.
I responded as: “Same to you sir. May I please know who is on the other end. Be blessed”
Response: “Namaskar. Biloo from Noida.”
B K Dass: “How strange. Once I introduced his son-in-law Dr. Trakroo and his grandson to Lalea my Mamaji. Once I told one gentleman to convey my regards to his father. He in response said that he did not know his address. I never knew that I too will fall in the same category. Yesterday I longed to talk to you.”
“Yinea sae cheshmuen shreh kuruekh
Sahlabh anea hum yavnus”

Life is an open book. We learn little from the open book. This is reality of life that travels unilaterally without looking back to its source like the river. One should not have regrets or complaint against the natural phenomenon. I would often tell my Muslim friends that Kafir is one who boasts and banks on one's youth, strength, energy, material wealth and one's sons. All is a mirage. I have seen one hotelier with his Bar and restaurant at Lal Chowk serving my friend I K Raina as a coolie. I was surprised when he said to IK: "Please give me four annas to have a cup of tea downstairs at wayside tea stall. Youth, energy, strength, wealth are not everlasting. We can bank only on the mercy and blessings of invisible, omnipotent, omnipresent God. The rest is myth and to bank upon myth is only optical illusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment