Thursday 28 August 2014

Vodie fuer dhuen’ (To look for any parasite in the head)

One should not feel shy of one's past. It was a common practice among our womenfolk. Whenever grandmother would visit her daughter, each would by turn lay her head in the lap of the other to look for any parasite.
Womenfolk had a special indigenous wooden 4x4 square inch comb. It was exclusively for womenfolk and was named as 'kunganie'. Males comb was named as 'Kanguv'. Kanguv was the same as it is today.
Those were not the days of shampoo. Even sunlight soap was expensive for our mothers. They would seldom go for head-wash or a bath. They were forbidden to wash their head or comb their head on the birthday of any distant relation or a neighbour whose birthday was announced by the distribution of 'teher', the yellow cooked rice among the neighbours.
Those were the days when we knew little about cement flooring or attached bathroom. For the bath of any lady in the home on account of some ritual, tin tub was borrowed from a distant prosperous and privileged neighbour or relation. Male members in shranpueth (4 x 36 square inch cloth used for underwear) had the privilege of taking bath at the river ghat as and when they liked. Males in the family belonged to the privileged category. They had no restrictions. They could take bath irrespective of the birthday of even head of the family. 
Carrying tub from one mohalla to the other was almost of an announcement of the bath of Shuba Wati or Arandati.
Mid eighties I spotted a neat, clean and beautiful woman looking for a catch in the head of her daughter with silky golden hair. I said to the woman: " aghar aekh leatch kudehues hueth ropia dhimaie yenamea" (If you catch one nit, I shall pay you a reward of one hundred rupees). The daughter said to her mother: "Mojee ye ki hay venan (Mother what did he say). The mother smiled and said "Kinhnie, ye chue pranie kueth yadh pavan"
Our mud flooring and the grass mat called vaguv was the breeding place for silverfish, brown colour insect known as 'kher', bed bugs, puesh, mosquitoes, houseflies and their other cousins.No house was an exception. All of us lived miserably among them. 
1966, on my way back from third show at Palladium at 12 in the night, I spotted the watchman at Malikbagh looking his shirt for a catch. Authoritatively at a high pitch I asked him if he had license for the catch.
Next day in the recess period at Teachers’ Training College, I noticed some of my girl classmates talking about me. I was seated on the window sill swinging my legs enjoying the spring sun.
I petitioned: "Mianie kunie chuvea Allah talla, yenea mai khulaf kueth keriv" (On my behalf you are watched by God. Make sure that you don't talk about me."
Shahzada among them said: "We talk only about you. We are amazed to know that you are authorized to look for license and that too at midnight."
"Strange, who told you?" said I.
Mrs. Maqbool wife of my neighbour Abdul Majid Mir, MD Sheep Breeding and Farming, said that her husband recognized the voice and laughed heartily for
your authority
. 

No comments:

Post a Comment