Wednesday 30 April 2014

Commitment

 Around October 1987, a stranger called on me at my office during school hours. He introduced himself as a wholesale dealer in Books from Delhi. He had come for some business deal. We mutually fixed an appointment for the next day at Indian Coffee House at 5 PM.
Next day over a cup of coffee, he asked me about the procedure I used to purchase books from different publishers from Delhi.
“I get documents through J&K Bank, with the condition that I make payment within three months after receipt of the goods” said I.
He offered facility with no time limit. He said that he would send the documents directly on my address in an ordinary post without any condition of time limit. After sale of the goods less by commission the payment be remitted into his account. It was an offer for distributorship for the entire valley.
I suggested that I was a teacher and not a businessman, I would introduce him to some other Principal of a school known to me and he would welcome his offer.
He refused, he said: “This offer is only for you and not for others.”
I said: “You must be telling all your customers that the offer is exclusively for you and not for others. Why I be given special treatment when both of us are strangers to each other?”
He said: “I am a trader from Delhi. We at Delhi make assessment ‘koan kitnay panee mai hai’ (as to who is trust worthy).
It was a surprise to me. I never knew my value and my credibility even at an alien place for me. Thereafter I became over cautious and dealt with everybody cautiously lest the spotless reputation gets tarnished.
Commitment is a treasure that one can bank upon and cash to grow. Bluff masters may succeed temporarily but are sure to fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment