Monday 28 April 2014

Militancy survives due to the vested interests of the few


Militancy survives due to the vested interests of the few. A few years before VDC members in the jungles of Kishtwar used to give a good chase to the dreaded militants both local and foreign ones. Village Defense Committees are working under the close supervision of the SHO concerned. At present VDCs have been directed not to chase the militants. They have been asked to be passive unless their village is attacked.
14th June 2007 to 20th June 2007, I was trekking through Rathal &Vuiet the militancy infested jungles of Kishtwar.
Each VDC member is paid Rs.1100 a month. The members are in high spirits. Most efficient Manpower to out number militants is available locally. They are better acquainted with the topography of the area. If recruited, it would be cheaper and result oriented.
I said to one of the members: “Being passive are you not in danger? The militants may take you unaware and attack you. How dare you live in this militancy infested jungle along with your other family members?”
He said: “We know the over ground sympathizers of the militants. We warned them that if one of us is killed, we shall not spare even one of them and shall annihilate their whole village”.
While gossiping, to my surprise, I was told that militants have gone to Sinthal Top (Ht.12, 450 ft. =3785mt. above the sea level) and they share the kitchen of the GRIFF mess. Glaciers around, they even enjoy canteen liquor to warm themselves up. GRIFF is the subsidiary of the army, constructing Border roads.
Ramesh Bhagat (Bhagats are scheduled caste) of Vuiet was a dreaded militant until he was captured by the army alive in one of the encounters. Thereafter the army used to take him along with for each action. He was being kept under close surveillance until he was once wounded by the bullet of one of his erstwhile colleagues. Treated in the Army Hospital, he gained confidence of the Army and was recruited as a regular soldier. On my way back, ahead of Rathat, I saw one local coming from the opposite direction going towards the hilltop. I said to my local companion, Ashwani: “I believe he is Ramesh.” He said: “Yes he is Ramesh. How did you place him?” I said: “Besides intuition, he resembles one of the dacoits of Sholey”.
Unlike Ramesh, Ravi was a dedicated and courageous VDC member. He had killed a number of terrorists. He was finally recruited as a regular soldier in the Army. Early March this year, on a tip off, he along with Ramesh raided the cave used as a hideout by the militants. Over enthusiastic, Ravi all alone entered into the cave, fought a fatal fight with the inmates. Before he embraced martyrdom, Ravi killed both the militants hiding in the cave.
19th. after lunch we left Vuiet for Rathal. Next morning two hours downhill journey, we reached the foot of the hill, Mugul Maidan, which was initially Mugul Mazar. It is 22 kms away from Kishtwar town. I had to negotiate whether to take up the beaten route-back to Batote-Srinagar or the Militant infested route-Chatrusu-Chinigom-Sinthal Top-Duksum-Kokernag - Srinagar. Advice of the few for Batote route was ruled out. Personally I was interested in an adventure. I spotted Head Constable Khajuria on the road and sought his advice. His advice suited me and I took up Sinthal route. My local companion Ashwani turned pale. He remembered and narrated the tale of an old man in his village whose throat was slit. By that time I had reached Chhatrusu, 8 Km. ahead of Mugul Maidan. At Chhtrusu, I filmed school children with placards in their hands protesting against their school without teachers. While driving the rough road, thought came to me, if the spare wheel was in order. A little ahead, my younger brother, Ram Sarup with whom I had not shared the concern, asked me if the spare wheel was in order. Stopped the tiny car and was delighted to find the things in order. A few kms. ahead at Chinigom Army Camp barricade, my license was checked. On my query, he disclosed his identity as Captain Werdhman from Delhi. While letting me go, he said: “There are Afghan militants at the top”.
I said: “What is your advice?”
He said: “I can’t suggest you anything more than what I told you.”
I applied first gear and a few meters ahead stopped again. “May I disclose my correct identity to them?”He said: “Yes. But take care of your cash. They loot cash.”
En route a few Gujjars in afghan dress advised me to make frequent use of horn, especially on sharp curves to make them understand that I was neither an informer and nor one from the security forces.
At 2:20 we reached the long awaited Sinthal Top through a number of glaciers. Sinthal Top is 60 kms ahead of Mugul Maidan at a height of 12,450 ft. above the sea level. 30 kms descend, we reached Duksum at 3:45 PM. Some brooks around, we opened our tiffin and enjoyed wayside lunch beside a brook island.

Had we not spent appreciable time at Kokernagh, we could have reached Srinagar a little earlier than 9:00 PM .

No comments:

Post a Comment