Tuesday 29 April 2014

Gani Sofi


March1961. I joined at newly upgraded High School Zainapor as a double course graduate teacher. Mohammad Shafi Qari of Khanyar was newly promoted Headmaster.
One day Qari Sahib received a postcard, read it and handed it to me. The postcard written in Urdu read: “Congratulations to you for your promotion, but to whose care have you left me to?”
Qari Sahib explained to me: “This boy, Gani Sufie, used to cook meals for me and Mohammad Abdullah Dev my colleague at Chrari Shrief. Being a promising boy we used to coach him. Now he wants to join me here at Zainapore”.
I said: “What is the problem? Let him come. Here also you need his services.”
Qari Sahib said: “Now he is in tenth. No doubt I am MA in Urdu and Persian, but I can’t teach him Mathematics. I have not passed regular tenth class. I have done post graduation through Adibh Kamil stream.”
I offered my services and next week Ganie joined us at Zainapore. Ganie passed tenth. I changed my job. Ganie maintained his relations and continued to visit me. Ganie passed Adib Mahir and Adib Kamil and joined Jamati Islami School as a teacher.
To prepare himself for completion of degree, he left his job. One day, out of pocket, Ganie was desperate. He needed Rs.35 to deposit university examination fees.
My father had already cautioned me to be more careful for Gani’s studies than my paid tuitions. Otherwise no dharma karma could save me from being a sinner.
Rs.35 was beyond my capacity. I approached Gani Furniture at Zaindar Mohalla and some other Muslims around at his shop for the help. I requested them to contribute each a little to make a total of Rs.35.
To his good luck one of the prospective donors was the late Abdul Gaffar Shah, Field Advisor to Disrict Institute of Education. He approached his benevolent and noble wife (PBUHS) and asked her for Rs.35 from the amount set aside for ‘zakat’. 
Ganie developed his personal relations with Shah Sahib. Now Ganie was a full fledged graduate. His employment was the next mission. One day he met me in my office. His face was a little gloomy, elongated and darker. I asked for the reason. In response he turned emotional and his eyes became wet. I changed the topic. A few days later, Ganie revealed his reason for his depressed spirit the previous day. He said for three days he had managed on grapevine leaves as he had nothing else to eat.  
With our collective efforts, Ganie joined as a government teacher.
One day Abdul Gaffar Shah taunted at me: “Ganie continues to come to me and asks for financial help. I would not mind when he was without job; but now it is exploitation.
I rebuked Ganie: “You have stooped very low. Now you are in job. Why do you ask Shah Sahib for money?”  
Ganie said: “I have maintained account for each and every penny that Shah Sahib has given to me. I am indebted to him. I shall pay him back.”
Shah Sahib accepted back the money that he had paid him after he was in job. Rest of the money, being from zakat account was refused. 
Ganie Sufie retired as government teacher a few years before. He is back to his home at Chrarie Sharief.
Mohammad Shafi Qari left his gazetted job and took to spirituality. He has been to pilgrimage a number of times. Chief disciple of Rehman Sahib of Tral, he is settled somewhere on Shalimar-Ganderbal interior area. Unfortunately I can’t recall the name of the vicinity.
Shah Sahib met me last in the year 1994 at Sanat Nagar Crossing. Shah Sahib left for heavenly abode a few years before. Peace is to his noble soul.




No comments:

Post a Comment