Monday 28 April 2014

For their right or wrong I am in exile and many are in graves.

Soprea kheie vuntun kupus
Wonprea chetekh vuntus nus.
(At Sopore a camel had eaten cotton; in his place nose of the camel of Wonper was chopped off.)
Well-done Bravo!
Wah mairay pahalwano! 
August 1947, RC Kak the then deposed Prime Minister of J&K State was handcuffed with a grass rope and paraded through Lalchowk by Sheikh Sahib because Kak had opted for Buffer State status for which today more than one lac youth have gone underground in their respective graves and one community is in exile. Prem Nath Bazaz likewise for likewise advice escaped miraculously gun shot from National Conference zealots. National Conference workers even pulled down their trousers, displayed their nakedness to humiliate handcuffed RC Kak and danced to the tune: “Asie kerav panaie hakumath Ram-Kak cha mamea soan. 1984, they again became naked to greet Indra Gandhi. 
 It was their advice to Mahraja. They were not hypocrites. They were not sycophants. Kak had advised the Mahraja as per his acumen, foresight, experience and worldly wisdom. Likewise Bazaz too had crossed the religious barriers and advised Sheikh as per his acumen and foresight. For the decision of the majority community why should I suffer? Kashmiri Muslims have to understand that it was their decision, right or wrong to follow or reject RC Kak and Prem Bazaz. Historical decisions are not reversible. They can’t escape my taunt when I tell the them ’tu he tu’. Historical decisions to accede are not subject to ‘sehe talaq’-talaq-talaq-talaq.

January 1992. Someone told me that Mohammad Amin Khan along with his family was putting up in a hotel at Rugh Nath Bazar. I went to the hotel and brought the entire family along with his driver to my one room rented apartment at Bakshi Nagar.
The National Highway got blocked for almost a month. So we had a nice time to gossip the current affairs in our state.
One evening at my knock, my elder daughter XII class student opened the gate. She was trembling and nervous. She said: “Dady aap ko meri kasum hai, Khan Sahib kay saath kisi bhi bahas mai nahi padna. Khan sahib bohut gusay mai hain.”
I said: “Reason?”
She said: “Rinkoo (my younger daughter) and Khan Sahib entered into an argument. Khan Sahib lost his cool and now he is annoyed and in an angry mood. While arguing Rinkoo had told Khan Sahib that though only a matriculate, he was enjoying an officer’s status in GOI Public sector and was provided with a chauffer driven car. Could he imagine getting the same in Pakistan?”
I said: “In the valley he could not gag me. Has he now come to Jammu to gag me?” I pacified my daughter and planned to shoot the trouble in the best possible manner.
Entered into the room, Khan Sahib was almost humming  and fuming with rage. His flickering nostrils revealed that the situation was tense. He was my guest. I maintained golden silence. Changed my dress and ordered for the meal to be served. Dinning sheet was spread. Thalies were laid.
Abruptly Khan Sahib declared: “I shall not have my meal.”
I joined Khan Sahib and said: “Me too.”
Khan Sahib changed his decision and quietly washed his hands.
I too!
Khan Sahib: “Yem gachina shurie History ti pernavenie(You should teach your children History too.”
I said: “Throughout my academic career I have been a second grade student. They are distinction holders. They know History better.”
Khan Sahib banged the thalie with a stress and said: “Gachna Kashir gachenie Pakistanus setie (Should not Kashmir go to Pakistan ?)
With equal stress equal bang I said: “Ye kumie heharun mianie kerea Hendostanus setie.” (Who the father-in-law acceded it with India)
Khan Sahib had no answer.
I said: “Soprea kheie vuntun kupus Wonpre chetukh vuntus nus. For the good or bad done by some one else you punish me. Know not Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment